I have identified a replacement property but have not yet sold my own property. Can I still legally do a 1031 exchange?

Yes; in this case, the exchange would be recognized as a Reverse Exchange. A Reverse Exchange can get much more complex than a more standard Delayed Exchange due to various legal requirements.